Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What I would do differently: Gran Torino

While reading my "Gran Torino" view from a distance I found many flaws but one stood out in particular. I structured my review like a academic paper rather that a review. My paragraphs were much too long and I often times covered several points in a single paragraph rather than giving each topic its own glory.

I also struggled with the 500 word maximum, and in retrospect it was due to my inefficient use of words. Rather than useless adverb and adjectives I could have fit more meaningful information and opinion into my review.

I realized after already posting my blog and turning in my hard copy that i neglected to put the movie title in quotations, a careless and somewhat embarrassing mistake. In the future I hope to avoid small mistakes like this as they will kill a review regardless of the content.

Content wise, I wish I would have seen the movie on Friday or Saturday. I saw it at 9:45 on Sunday and immediately wrote my review. With such a small time frame for reflection I found only the enjoyable parts of the movie in my consciousness. The more I thought of the movie, especially after our class discussion, the more I was reminded of certain negative elements I had overlooked. While I still would have given "Gran Torino" a good review, it would not have been as glowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment